As a regular Health eTips reader you know how dangerous polluted air can be. And as a result, if you live in a densely-populated area you might be inclined to batten down the hatches to stay safe and keep the air clean inside the “fortress” of your home.
But according to a new study, the air inside your home may be just as polluted as the air outside. That’s because a certain feature of your decor can spread toxins into the air that can make you sick as a dog.
I’m talking about your wallpaper.
That’s right – the seemingly innocent patterns covering your walls can also harbour mould that sends toxins into the air and straight into your lungs.
In the study, the researchers tested indoor air quality that was allowed to flow over a piece of wallpaper contaminated with three common fungi. The results indicated that it contained toxins (called mycotoxins) from these fungi.
The mycotoxins end up in the air either by hitching a ride on dust particles (which are small enough for you to inhale) or by attaching themselves to fungal spores released by the mould that go flying through the air.
Tiny bits of wallpaper that carry these toxins can even break off and eventually find their way into your lungs!
Now, breathing in these toxins might not make you sick right away. But over time, they can contribute to what’s become known as “sick building syndrome.”
And that could mean an array of strange symptoms that even your doctor may be at a loss to explain, from digestive problems… to breathing difficulties… to skin issues… and even damage to your nervous system.
So, it’s a good idea to give any wallpaper you have a solid once-over for signs of mould – especially in areas where there’s a lot of moisture, like kitchens and bathrooms.
Dark patches are a dead giveaway.
But not all mould is visible to the naked eye, so if your wallpaper is getting a bit old – especially if it shows any signs of damage, like cracking or peeling – you’ll want to have a professional thoroughly inspect it with special equipment and clean it if possible.
Better still, why not replace your wallpaper completely with the help of a professional who’ll be knowledgeable in how to do it without making your mould problem worse.
Invest in an air purifier with a HEPA filter that can be cleaned or replaced. Most standard models will filter out the bigger particles, but to protect yourself from both mould spores and the toxins that attach to them, you’ll need one that can capture particles that are less than 0.1 microns in size.
Wishing you the best of health,
Dr. Glenn S. Rothfeld
Nutrition & Healing
Wallpaper May Be Breeding Ground for Dangerous Toxins, upi.com/Health_News/2017/06/23/Wallpaper-may-be-breeding-ground-for-dangerous-toxins/6461498242665/?utm_source=sec&utm_campaign=sl&utm_medium=10
Fungal Toxins from Wallpaper Source of Illness Says New Research, news-medical.net/news/20170625/Fungal-toxins-from-wallpaper-source-of-illness-says-new-research.aspx
Aerosolization of mycotoxins after growth of toxinogenic fungi on wallpaper, aem.asm.org/content/early/2017/06/05/AEM.01001-17